As of January 1st, 2018, SC Labs offers two main categories of testing services in California: Compliance and R&D.
What is R&D Testing?
R&D — or in process tests — are intended for use by manufacturers and cultivators to improve their processes and products. We offer the same tests that are performed in the regulatory compliant panel but in an a la carte version and lab staff do not perform the sampling. Since these tests are used for in-process purposes, the results are not reported to the State, and no disqualification of product is necessary.
KEY FACTS ABOUT R&D TESTING
- R&D testing may be requested by any licensee or medical patient
- R&D sampling may be conducted by a non-laboratory staff members
- R&D results are not reported to state regulators
R&D DROP SAMPLE LOCATIONS
R&D TEST PROCESS
- Collect a sample for the requested test.
- Schedule a sample pickup or drop the it at one of our locations (10am-6pm)
- Samples transferred to the lab same day they’re received.
- Reports are published automatically to client portal.
R&D SAMPLE SIZE CHART
What is Compliance Testing?
Our regulatory compliant test panels are intended to meet the testing requirements for cannabis or cannabis products as required by the California BCC and include a laboratory performed sampling of a cannabis batch to ensure a representative sample is obtained. Next, the laboratory staff member seals the batch and transports the sample back to the lab where several required tests are performed; the exact number of which is determined by the type of sample being tested. Next, the results are reported as required by regulation to the appropriate state through METRC track and trace software. These test results will be legally binding and if any test returns a result that is outside the accepted limits, the batch will need to be either remediated or destroyed.
KEY FACTS ABOUT COMPLIANCE TESTING
- PHASE 1 required for anything produced or harvested between Jan 1st – Jun 30, 2018.
- PHASE 2 required for anything produced or harvested after July 1st, 2018.
- Compliance testing is available for distributors & micro businesses authorized to distribute.
- Sampling must be conducted by a licensed laboratory staff member.
- Results will automatically be reported to state regulators.
SAMPLING EVENT CHECKLIST
Providing batch information prior, preferably the day before, to the sampling event allows for the most fastest and most efficient service at the time of the compliance sampling event.
- Batch ID Numbers
- Number of batches & type of batches
- Total weight and/or number of units
- Cultivation/ Manufacturer license information
- General description of packaging or storage containers for unpacked harvest batches.
- If packaged, size and quantity of retail packages, master cases and sub cases.
CALIFORNIA COMPLIANCE TESTING PHASES
What is a Compliant Batch?
A compliant batch is a single unit of market-ready harvest cannabis or a manufactured product
as defined within the regulations established by the Bureau of Cannabis Control and the California Department of Food & Agriculture.
HARVEST BATCH SIZES
A harvest batch includes flowers, trim, pre-rolls, eighth jars, leaf material and kief.
MANUFACTURED BATCH SIZES
A manufactured product includes concentrates cartridges, edibles and all other cannabis products.